The world of apponomics [infographic]
Apps have overtaken mobile browsing as users’ preferred means of accessing the web, according to this industry breakdown infographic from the app marketing specialists Dot Com Infoway.
There are 585,000 apps on the Apple store, 450,000 apps on the Android market and 82,234 apps available at present on Microsoft’s store, with more than 300,000 mobile apps have been developed in the last three years.
The total number of apps downloaded so far exceeds 250 billion Apple apps, 10 billion Android and 217 million Windows apps. The infographic also shows that the market yielded $7.3 billion revenue in 2011 and has predicted that revenues will reach $36.7 billion by 2015.
In addition, the infographic reveals that the average time spent by users on mobile apps has increased from 43 minutes to 72 minutes a day between June 2010 and December 2011.
“The barrier to entry is low, and it’s a crowded marketplace,” said Dot Com Infoway. “To succeed in this market, an app developer has to understand the market, and must pay careful attention to the entire marketing process from the initial idea, to post-launch review.”
- » Microsoft Surface Pro “just isn’t there” says IDC analyst - are smaller models on the way?
- » Facebook Home, skins, and the future of social mobility
- » Enterprise app deployment a struggle, says new research
- » Is 2013 going to be the year of biometric security?
- » Samsung and BlackBerry are secure enough for Pentagon - but not Apple?