The reality of mobile data: Unreliable...even where you might least expect it
Here at 5app we have been conducting some tests to determine the real-life data connectivity that the public can expect from mobile data networks. The results surprised us:
- Even on major motorways there are sections with no data connection;
- You can still fail to make a connection even in central London due to congestion;
- You may get several different IP addresses over a period of time;
- Requests that do work can take over a minute to respond;
- Data doesn’t always get through.
We used a mobile phone to run a web page that uses GPS to detect your current location. Every 10 seconds...